Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Music preferences

I am someone who came of age in the 1980's. The 1990's ushered in adulthood. So, what does this mean in terms of musical taste? Frankly, I do not look back with much fondness at 80's music. There is definitely stuff I love from the 80's, but in general the synthisizer heavy stuff just doesn't work for me anymore. U2, The Police, Billy Idol, The Go-Go's, R.E.M., Prince, Tom Petty, Springsteen, Van Halen ... these all roll off the tongue with some staying power. I know many of these got a start in the 70's, but I'm speaking of their 80's work in particular. If I'm in the right mood, I can handle a lot of other 80's stuff, but not like I used to.

I'm finding myself much more nostalgic toward the 90's. I listen to it more in the car, on my iPod, etc. than anything else. It seems like this is fresher music to me, even though it's a decade old at a minimum: Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alanis Morissette, Barenaked Ladies, Cranberries, Dave Matthews, Beck, Cracker, Cake, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Hootie, Jane's Addiction, Oasis, Smashing Pumpkins, Sublime, Sugar Ray, 311.

The 80's aren't even #2. I guess if I were to rank the past 50 years, it would be:

90's
60's
80's
Current
70's

These music periods actually break down to me as:

50's rock -> Beatles on Sullivan -> Disco -> Punk/New Wave -> Nirvana -> Hip Hop pop integration (late 90's) -> Current

No comments: