Friday, September 3, 2010

Cutting cable update

Well, it is now September and we haven't had cable in at least 7 months (can't remember exactly when we cut it). College football season just started and, low and behold, ESPN3.com is broadcasting tons of live games. With PlayOn or just my PC/TV, I can watch non-broadcast college football games.

Netflix streaming and the Wii are really the key to our living room experience. Digital HD broadcast and it make everything worthwhile.

PlayOn allows Hulu and other Internet content to my TV, but is a little problematic with controls on my XBMC.

I'm not sure of the future of ESPN3.com's broadcast breadth and depth. It looks like it might be limited, but it's still pretty cool.

2 comments:

Apply for a VA Loan said...

Good for you. TV is the root of almost all ignorance in America.

Rob said...

We do still watch a fair amount of TV, but it's much more select. The good side is that my kids don't just plop down in front of it and mindlessly watch (I guess that applies to me and my wife as well). If they watch, they have to actually choose something.

For me, I like documentaries. With cable/satellite, I was at the whim of what was on. Now I'm at the whim of what I want to watch.