Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Gay Marriage and the Chick-Fil-A Boycott

It's been about six months since the big Chick-Fil-A brouhaha regarding Dan Cathy's comments about gay marriage. I have boycotted businesses before, but only because they gave me bad service in some way. I'm a libertarian and a capitalist. I vote with my dollars.

After reading this article, however, I started my first boycott for something that doesn't directly affect me. The article's author is an acquaintance of mine from years ago, so I suppose that holds some sway. I have had a slew of friends over the years that are LGBT. That also has had an influence. I have four minor children. Who knows what life has in store for them? Clearly that would hit home directly.

At the end of the day though, none of the matters. I support gay marriage because it's right. If two consenting adults want to have their union recognized by the state and given equal protection under the law, who are we to say no? This is plain and simply a civil rights issue. History will not look back kindly on the bigotry being displayed in this country.

I am a straight, happily married, 40+, white male that lives in the South. I support gay marriage. I denounce groups like the FRC (Family Research Council) and people that support them. While I also denounce that politicians that tried to deny Dan Cathy his 1st Amendment rights, I, as a citizen, denounce Cathy and the company he represents, Chick-Fil-A for his stance on limiting the rights of fellow citizens. I will not spend my money there until they stop supporting such groups.

No comments: