Friday, July 16, 2010

Are we just a drop in time?

If atheism is right, do we cease to exist upon death? What sort of comfort is there in that?

First of all, I don't know that's what happens. I can't deny that life is different from inanimate objects. Maybe there is some "soul" thing that continues on after we die and made us alive in the first place. However, it seems the very likely that we will simply cease to exist ... as unappealing as that may be.

There are a lot of things in life that aren't particularly appealing though. That doesn't mean that it makes them any less true.

Our mortality makes life precious. Our procreation makes us live on. Is that enough? Who knows? I'm happy with my life. I don't feel any "voids in my heart" or the such that most Christians assume an atheist feels. I have a great wife and four fantastic kids.

I certainly don't hold that my "religion" will give any comfort or provide support. It also doesn't answer any of the big questions. I'd love to know the whos, whys, whats, hows, and wheres of existence. I guess I'd like it to be neatly wrapped with a nice bow, but don't think that it is. I hold out hope that as we advance as a civilization, we continue to come closer to this knowledge ... if we don't kill ourselves or the planet before we get there.

No comments: