Friday, July 16, 2010

Proof of God

I often am told by Christians that they have all the proof they need through the Bible. They know it to be true, so therefore it is up to the atheist to prove it untrue.

This is a complete and utter fallacy. Because a premise cannot be proven false, that premise can't be assumed true.

Christians don't need to prove there is a God though ... unless you're trying to convince me it's true. If you're trying to put prayer in our public schools, you need to prove it. If you want to be taken seriously by those not brought up through the indoctrination, you need to prove it (or at least admit that your belief is based on faith, not proof).

I know most Christians believe there is ample evidence for proof of their religion. However, there's a reason you have to have faith to believe. Chrisianity and religion have a foundation in the supernatural. I need to see some verifiable and repeatable miracles - a suspension of our known science - to believe in the supernatural.

There's little proof of anything related to Christianity other than the existence of historical figures and a book. As much as I believe Julius Caesar existed, I believe Jesus existed (meaning I believe he existed). I just don't believe that he was divine. I know that's sacrilegious to Christians, but it's what I believe.

Imagine what it might take to cause you to disbelieve in Christianity. What would it take to make you a Muslim or a Buddhist? You would have to lose your faith.

I'm flexible, but you'd better show me some proof.

No comments: