Friday, July 16, 2010

Stealing from the Christian worldview?

I've blogged about morality, but someone recently stated that atheists only have morals because they borrowed them from the Christian worldview. I don't agree that morals are divinely inspired, but I don't deny that my specific morals are heavily influced by the Christian worldview.

Most of my Christian friends initially think that my disbelief in God (any deity) means that I reject the teachings or the morals of Christianity. This is simply not true. I don't agree with all Christians teachings (regarding behavior/morals), but I agree for the most part. I run things through my own mind and when a behavior makes moral sense, it makes moral sense.

Most of these behaviors are within a mainly Christian culture. I was taught by my parents, who were taught by their Christian parents. I grew up in Christian communities.

Where I disagree is that a supernatural guy in the sky gives logic to the morals, not the inherent pros/cons of the behavior itself.

No comments: